VLC player isn't recognized

Posts that are done/fixed/closed or aged! for this section are placed in here to keep the forum in shape & more viewable!
Tormentor667
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

VLC player isn't recognized

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 28 Dec 2013, 19:23

Even though I have installed the latest version of VLC player including the ActiveX plugin, ECC tells me that I do not have VLC and doesn't display any videos. Instead it disables the function and restarts.
Attachments
vlc_01.png
vlc_02.png
vlc_03.png
vlc_03.png (22.4 KiB) Viewed 2034 times

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Re: VLC player isn't recognized

Unread post by Phoenix » 29 Dec 2013, 16:07

Hi Tormentor667,

I have uninstalled VLC 2.1.1 and i have installed 2.1.2, i will have a look....

Ps. you can attatch images and files to the post ;-) no need to upload them somewhere else! :lmfao:
Sebastiaan Ebeltjes | ECC Developer 2006-2016 | ECC Forum Admin | Phoenix Interactive WebMaster
[- ECC programs -]
eccUpdate, eccScriptSystem, GtkThemeSelect, DatFileUpdater (DFU), ImagePackCenter (IPC), eccDiagnostics, 3dGallery, iccImageInject
eccKameleonCode, eccCreateStartmenuShotcut, eccThirdPartyConfig (TPC), EmuMoviesDownloader (EMD), eccVideoPlayer
MobyGamesImporter (MGI), ECC Amiga GetGemusConfig.

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 29 Dec 2013, 16:44

I have installed VLC 2.1.2 and everything works fine! the video window is displayed in the right corner!

Are there any other users where VLC is not working?
ecc_video_player.png
Sebastiaan Ebeltjes | ECC Developer 2006-2016 | ECC Forum Admin | Phoenix Interactive WebMaster
[- ECC programs -]
eccUpdate, eccScriptSystem, GtkThemeSelect, DatFileUpdater (DFU), ImagePackCenter (IPC), eccDiagnostics, 3dGallery, iccImageInject
eccKameleonCode, eccCreateStartmenuShotcut, eccThirdPartyConfig (TPC), EmuMoviesDownloader (EMD), eccVideoPlayer

Tormentor667
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 29 Dec 2013, 16:45

I am just uninstalling VLC and rebooting, then will reinstall VLC Player (2.1.2) just to make sure it isn't a problem for my machine. [/reboots]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 29 Dec 2013, 16:52

vlcmissing.png
VLC missing
vlcmissing.png (23.26 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
...still the same problem.

I have Windows 7 Pro, 32 bit and the latest version of VLC Player. How do you check if it is installed? How is it being used anyway?

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 29 Dec 2013, 18:20

ECC is using a Autoit3 script and a ComX/ActiveX component (web/browser based) to display the video

Maybe you can try this:

1) Make a backup of the file "ecc-core\tools\eccVideoPlayer.au3" (eccVideoPlayer.bak)
2) edit the file "ecc-core\tools\eccVideoPlayer.au3" (for example with notepad) and DELETE (or comment-out) these lines:

Code: Select all

If $VLCPlayer = False Then ;Check if VLC player is installed
				MsgBox(64, "ECC VIDEO",	"VLC intialization failed!" & @CRLF & _
										"The most likely cause is that you don't have VLC installed." & @CRLF & _
										"Make sure VLC, and the ActiveX component is installed!" & @CRLF & _
										"The Video Player has been disabled!" & @CRLF & _
										"You can enable it again in the ECC config!")
				IniWrite($EccGeneralIni, "VIDEOPLAYER", "eccVideoPlayer_enable", "0")
				Exit
			EndIf
And try agian, let me know the result!
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 29 Dec 2013, 23:28

Strange result, but look yourself:
vlcshit.png
A strange invisible window opens (blue movie strip at the taskbar) and there is also space for the video in ecc (grey box) but the video doesn't get played and displayed at all.

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 08 Jan 2014, 11:44

Any news about this? It still doesn't work, I even tried it on another computer without any success btw.

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 08 Jan 2014, 23:06

Tormentor667 wrote:Any news about this? It still doesn't work, I even tried it on another computer without any success btw.
I will try this on a other computer soon, i will let you know!
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 09 Jan 2014, 11:12

Is there a LOG file that I can send you maybe which might help?

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 09 Jan 2014, 17:53

Tormentor667 wrote:Is there a LOG file that I can send you maybe which might help?
No, it just seems that the active X control is not found to display the VLC window, Autoit uses COM objects to make usage of VLC...i don't know how to debug this at best...this could be a language/local problem...
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 10 Jan 2014, 09:22

What about using a different method to display and play the videos instead of relying on a external program like VLC?

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 10 Jan 2014, 19:19

Tormentor667 wrote:What about using a different method to display and play the videos instead of relying on a external program like VLC?
VLC is the best player there is!, PHP-GTK does not support video playing in the GUI, and support every videoformat available, maybe i could let the user select a "external" videoplayer so the user can select his/her favorite videoplayer! :-k
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 10 Jan 2014, 22:36

Phoenix wrote:VLC is the best player there is!
Without any doubt, but considering that EmuMovies' videos are mostly normed, a different method or some kind of included library in ECC might be a better solution so people do not need additional software or rely on something else. As you see in my case, it's definitely a problem.

How did Micha solve this with ECC2?

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 10 Jan 2014, 23:27

ECC2 is build with JAVA wich is widely supported, maintained (as we know), ECC is build with PHP-GTK, wich isn't supported and developed anymore and looks dead :-(
last message @ [5-Aug-2010] > http://gtk.php.net/

I think the reason for the GTK-PHP platform for Andreas was to make ECC multiOS, so it also runs on Linux etc...
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 11 Jan 2014, 12:03

Phoenix wrote:ECC is build with PHP-GTK, wich isn't supported and developed anymore and looks dead :-(
This is bad news... :( Have you ever thought about switching to a different language instead then?

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 12 Jan 2014, 16:28

Maybe .NET... but then ECC has to be rewritten from scratch...wich takes years! ;-)
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 12 Jan 2014, 19:48

Make it open-source :)

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 13 Jan 2014, 21:38

Tormentor667 wrote:Make it open-source :)
It is! :lmfao: , you can just edit all the PHP files, ECC is already open source!! (for 98% that is)
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 13 Jan 2014, 22:02

Lucky me that I am not a PHP coder :P

Nevermind, I actually got farther away from the topic that I wanted to. I still can't backtrack the error but I can reproduce it on any machine.