Multi Emu support questions

I want to show you what I'm doing some evenings in my spare time.
At first I want to say that this is ONLY A PRIVATE HOBBY PROJECT, I don't want to "kill" eCC, But eventually wake up Andreas a bit ;-)

Moderator: DerMicha75

DerMicha75
ECC2 (java) Developer

Multi Emu support questions

Unread post by DerMicha75 » 24 Aug 2012, 21:24

Hi,

while working on scripting options I have to think about multi emu configuration. My question is: Does any platform really needs 2 or more scripts? At the moment I can only run one script. ECC1 can handle multiple scripts, but I have no idea why :lmfao:

Instead I think of extending the options as follows:

per platform:
- global setting for using script (checkbox and script name (or I drop this and the name is always the eccident)
- global settings for unpacking (the 4 checkboxes in the current dialog)
- one default emulator with executable and commandline and a unique name (can be entered)
- list of other emus, each with executable and commandline and a list of extensions. And a unique name.

So starting a om is:

- unpack if neccessary
- check if a script should be used
- check If the game has one of the extensions configured or there is a special key/value pair "emu=NAME"
- if yes (and no script) start the emu with the commandline
- if no (and no script) start the default emu with the commandline
- if yes or no (and script) start the script and give the emu settings to the script

I think with these option we can do all things:

- configure emulators by extension
- configure emulators and select them for special games (with emu= key)
- do difficult things with a script (normally we should do this with default emu)

What do you think?

Micha

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Re: Multi Emu support questions

Unread post by Phoenix » 24 Aug 2012, 21:58

Hi Micha,
DerMicha75 wrote:while working on scripting options I have to think about multi emu configuration. My question is: Does any platform really needs 2 or more scripts? At the moment I can only run one script. ECC1 can handle multiple scripts, but I have no idea why
1) Do you really want one script to rule them all?
2) How to maintain such a big script when you update it all the time?
3) You can always run scripts from scripts so eventually you can run unlimited script for a single emu/rom

The idea behind ECC scripting is that it's Flexible, Updatable, Pluginable (FUP haha)
DerMicha75 wrote:per platform:
- global setting for using script (checkbox and script name (or I drop this and the name is always the eccident)
My tip is: drop it, use eccident & emulatorname (just like ECC), it will be better organized!
DerMicha75 wrote: - global settings for unpacking (the 4 checkboxes in the current dialog)
Wich are now? :detective:
DerMicha75 wrote:- one default emulator with executable and commandline and a unique name (can be entered)
- list of other emus, each with executable and commandline and a list of extensions. And a unique name.
ECC already has this extension based and/or 2 alternate emulators ALT/ALT2 can be chosen (ECC only needs to save this emulator when clicking the rom again...) :yes_head:
DerMicha75 wrote: - unpack if neccessary
- check if a script should be used
- check If the game has one of the extensions configured or there is a special key/value pair "emu=NAME"
- if yes (and no script) start the emu with the commandline
- if no (and no script) start the default emu with the commandline
- if yes or no (and script) start the script and give the emu settings to the script
Most of this list already in ECC :yes_head:
DerMicha75 wrote:- configure emulators and select them for special games (with emu= key)
This is the only idea ECC could benefit at this point. :clown:
Sebastiaan Ebeltjes | ECC Developer 2006-2016 | ECC Forum Admin | Phoenix Interactive WebMaster
[- ECC programs -]
eccUpdate, eccScriptSystem, GtkThemeSelect, DatFileUpdater (DFU), ImagePackCenter (IPC), eccDiagnostics, 3dGallery, iccImageInject
eccKameleonCode, eccCreateStartmenuShotcut, eccThirdPartyConfig (TPC), EmuMoviesDownloader (EMD), eccVideoPlayer
MobyGamesImporter (MGI), ECC Amiga GetGemusConfig.

Vicman
PLATINUM member

Re: Multi Emu support questions

Unread post by Vicman » 29 Sep 2012, 21:20

Hi Micha,
waiting for new beta :D
imagepacks:
Done: Vic20, N64, Philips VG-5000 G7000 G7400, SordM5, Amstrad GX4000, Enterprise 64/128
Progress: Atari 8bit, Dosbox, Exelvision EXL 100
Vicman's eCC-Clips on You Tube