Launch Dosbox Games WITHOUT A Script

Posts that are done/fixed/closed or aged! for this section are placed in here to keep the forum in shape & more viewable!
thetrout

Launch Dosbox Games WITHOUT A Script

Unread post by thetrout » 03 Feb 2010, 18:59

In my never-ending quest to avoid using scripts in ECC, I've figured out a way to launch DOSBox games from a simple command line. It's actually pretty easy.

1. Install D-Fend Reloaded: http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

2. Run D-Fend and add your DOS games to it. You can import games from ZIP files if you wish. Right-clicking on the game in D-Fend will let you edit and tweak the configuration for each individual game if you need to. You can exit D-Fend after setting up (and perhaps testing) your games.

3. Open ecc_dosbox_system.ini in your ECC system folder. Delete everything and paste in the following:
[EXTENSIONS]
prof=1
[PARSER]
FileParserGeneric#dosbox = prof
4. Configure DOSbox in ECC. Set the emulator to DFend.exe and leave the commandline parameter as %ROM%. Make sure that the only options checked are "filename only" and "no extention." I've attached a screenshot of what my window looks like.

5. Add new roms for DOSBox and browse to your Dosbox\Confs directory. It should pick up the configuration files you created for each game in D-Fend.

6. Launch your games with ECC!

This works perfectly on my system. However, since all your *.prof files will probably have different CRCs, you won't be able to use any kind of database for your metadata. Otherwise, I find this to be a pretty great solution!
Attachments
ecc_dosbox.jpg

Vicman
PLATINUM member

Re: Launch Dosbox Games WITHOUT A Script

Unread post by Vicman » 03 Feb 2010, 19:42

well....te_lanus had this idea already :detective:
http://ecc.phoenixinteractive.nl/viewto ... 746#p16746

but because of the diff. CRC's we want to try the "script-way" ;)
imagepacks:
Done: Vic20, N64, Philips VG-5000 G7000 G7400, SordM5, Amstrad GX4000, Enterprise 64/128
Progress: Atari 8bit, Dosbox, Exelvision EXL 100
Vicman's eCC-Clips on You Tube

thetrout

Re: Launch Dosbox Games WITHOUT A Script

Unread post by thetrout » 03 Feb 2010, 20:12

Don't know how I missed that! I'm clearly a moron.