PS1 scraping/isos/launching

If you encounter bugs, errors or crashes, please report them in this section so we can try to fix it!
Tormentor667

PS1 scraping/isos/launching

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 09 Jun 2013, 15:46

Hello guys,

I encountered several issues with my Playstation 1 roms/isos and I am not sure if this is a bug or if it is simply a bad setup from my side. Anyway, the explanation is quite simple: My PS1-roms/isos are set up to be .cue/.bin/.iso... files which are compressed in RAR archives directly in the ROM folder of my PS1 user folder.

The first problem that I encounter is that when ECC collects the data and adds it to the database, I sometimes get several entries for one game, e.g. "Alien Trilogy" which comes with a .cue. It doesn't only add the first track of the image to the database which has the game data but also all the audio tracks as entries ("Track 2", "Track 3", etc.) which doesn't make sense overall. How can I fix or avoid this?

The second problem is playing the RAR archives. I checked the "Auto Extract before playing" option in the emulator configuration for the PS1 isos. Now when I double click a game, it takes a while (most propably the extraction) and then I get an error message that the game can't be found and that I should clean up the database to make sure to remove/fix wrong entries. But actually it's there.

The main question here is obviously: How do I set up PS1 roms/isos the right way?

Thanks already,
best regards,
Dan

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Re: PS1 scraping/isos/launching

Unread post by Phoenix » 09 Jun 2013, 17:28

Hi Dan,
Tormentor667 wrote:The first problem that I encounter is that when ECC collects the data and adds it to the database, I sometimes get several entries for one game, e.g. "Alien Trilogy" which comes with a .cue. It doesn't only add the first track of the image to the database which has the game data but also all the audio tracks as entries ("Track 2", "Track 3", etc.) which doesn't make sense overall. How can I fix or avoid this?
ECC never parses a CUE file, ECC works with CRC32 hashes, if the filename or any byte changes in the CUE files, the CRC32 would not be the same, therefore ECC only parses "images files" like ISO, BIN, NRG
1) Can you list/discribe you files list here? are the audio files also ISO formats?
Tormentor667 wrote:The second problem is playing the RAR archives. I checked the "Auto Extract before playing" option in the emulator configuration for the PS1 isos. Now when I double click a game, it takes a while (most propably the extraction) and then I get an error message that the game can't be found and that I should clean up the database to make sure to remove/fix wrong entries. But actually it's there.
Well....the RAR option is very new, since i made a "hack" to let ECC handle RAR like a 7z/ZIP file, maybe there could be a problem!
2) Wich emulator do you use for your PS1 emulation?
3) Could you post your PS1 settings "ecc-user-configs\ecc_ps1_user.ini" here, so i can take a look (or screenshot)
4) Could you PM me the link where to get your version of "Alien Trilogy", so i can test it myself ;-)
Sebastiaan Ebeltjes | ECC Developer 2006-2016 | ECC Forum Admin | Phoenix Interactive WebMaster
[- ECC programs -]
eccUpdate, eccScriptSystem, GtkThemeSelect, DatFileUpdater (DFU), ImagePackCenter (IPC), eccDiagnostics, 3dGallery, iccImageInject
eccKameleonCode, eccCreateStartmenuShotcut, eccThirdPartyConfig (TPC), EmuMoviesDownloader (EMD), eccVideoPlayer
MobyGamesImporter (MGI), ECC Amiga GetGemusConfig.

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 09 Jun 2013, 18:54

Hello again,

thanks for the quick reply, concerning your questions,
1) Can you list/discribe you files list here? are the audio files also ISO formats?
The RAR file from Alien Trilogy (as many other RAR images that I have) look like this:
snapshot.png
Maybe the problem is, that each of the tracks are .bins instead of being one .iso with all tracks. I have no problem tough how to convert them, and furthermore, I see a problem in converting about 40 different isos which are set up that way. Maybe you have a better solution.
2) Wich emulator do you use for your PS1 emulation?
Currently ePSXe (the latest version) which seems to me the best choice.
3) Could you post your PS1 settings "ecc-user-configs\ecc_ps1_user.ini" here, so i can take a look (or screenshot)
Sure thing, here you go:
Spoiler: show

Code: Select all

[PLATFORM]
active = "1"
eccident = "ps1"
name = "Sony PlayStation 1"
category = "Console"
[EMU.GLOBAL]
active = "1"
path = "..\ecc-user\ps1\emus\epsxe\ePSXe.exe"
param = "%ROM%"
escape = "1"
win8char = ""
useCueFile = ""
filenameOnly = ""
noExtension = ""
executeInEmuFolder = ""
enableEccScript = "1"
enableZipUnpackActive = "1"
enableZipUnpackAll = "1"
enableZipUnpackSkip = "1"
[EMU.ALT1]
active = ""
path = ""
param = "%ROM%"
escape = "1"
win8char = ""
useCueFile = ""
filenameOnly = ""
noExtension = ""
executeInEmuFolder = ""
enableEccScript = ""
enableZipUnpackActive = "1"
enableZipUnpackAll = "1"
enableZipUnpackSkip = "1"
[EMU.ALT2]
[EMU.bin]
[EMU.cdi]
[EMU.img]
[EMU.iso]
[EMU.mdf]
[EMU.mds]
[EMU.nrg]
4) Could you PM me the link where to get your version of "Alien Trilogy", so i can test it myself ;-)
I am currently uploading the RAR to my DropBox, expect a link soon. :)

Other than that, thanks already for your help!

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 11 Jun 2013, 19:22

Well, i've downloaded the RAR file and examined it...., this is NOT how a "normal" BIN/CUE game rip should look, the AUDIO tracks should be with the DATA track as a single BIN with just the CUE file to discribe and layout the contents.

You need some kind of tool to put all these files into a single BIN / ISO or NRG file!, you have to google for it (if you found it, please post it over here)

I can not adjust ECC so easily....and only for "bad" riped games! :no:
Sebastiaan Ebeltjes | ECC Developer 2006-2016 | ECC Forum Admin | Phoenix Interactive WebMaster
[- ECC programs -]
eccUpdate, eccScriptSystem, GtkThemeSelect, DatFileUpdater (DFU), ImagePackCenter (IPC), eccDiagnostics, 3dGallery, iccImageInject
eccKameleonCode, eccCreateStartmenuShotcut, eccThirdPartyConfig (TPC), EmuMoviesDownloader (EMD), eccVideoPlayer

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 11 Jun 2013, 22:10

I am not sure if this is really a "bad rip", as I have downloaded most of the PS1 roms from sources which work together with another very popular rom organizing software (Hyperspin, in case you haven't heard it yet). Hyperspin actually ignores the BINs if a CUE is provided and collects the info of the CUE and combines the BINs automatically - it's actually the way many isos work.

Though, if you do not intend to support CUE's, I understand this, and most propably have to rebuild all the isos into single BINs, which will take ages unfortunately :(

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 11 Jun 2013, 23:02

Yes, i know, but i could be possible to make ECC read a CUE file, but...

1) What if there is no CUE file, and only a bunch of BIN files?
2) What is there are more then 2 CUE files?

I know....this config won't be normal, but it can be...besides the CUe file is higly unreliable, due to plain text format!

PS. Isn't the CUE files always the same name as the "main" BIN/ISO filename? :-k , like:
MyGame.cue
MyGame.bin

MyGame_track01.bin
MyGame_track02.bin
MyGame_track03.bin

Then maybe it could be possible...
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 11 Jun 2013, 23:35

1) If there is no CUE but only a bunch of BIN files, then the ISO definitely hasn't been ripped the right way - you can simply disregard this case.
2) Same here, a iso never has 2 or more CUEs, in this case the ISO hasn't been ripped the right way and can also be disregarded.

So, in any normal cases, the RAR contains a certain amount of BINs and one (!) CUE.

Concerning the naming conventions, I've taken a look at several archives and it looks always the same:

Iso Name (Region).cue
Iso Name (Region).bin
Iso Name (Region) (Track 1).bin
Iso Name (Region) (Track 2).bin
Iso Name (Region) (Track 3).bin
[...]
Iso Name (Region) (Track X).bin

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 11 Jun 2013, 23:42

Ok great, i will see if i can make ECC look if there is a .CUE file and ONLY parse the .BIN file with the same name, that would fix the problem! :yes_head:

Thanks for your research!
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 12 Jun 2013, 00:08

Exactly :) Thanks for the help!

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 12 Jun 2013, 00:41

I also found the bug in the second problem, the problem is that there is a folder inside the archive where the files are in!

So with the option "UNPACK ALL" file will be unpacked like:

\ecc-user\#_AUTO_UNPACKED\ps1\Alien Trilogy (Europe) (En,Fr,Es,It)\Alien Trilogy (Europe) (En,Fr,Es,It).bin
\ecc-user\#_AUTO_UNPACKED\ps1\Alien Trilogy (Europe) (En,Fr,Es,It)\Alien Trilogy (Europe) (En,Fr,Es,It).cue
\ecc-user\#_AUTO_UNPACKED\ps1\Alien Trilogy (Europe) (En,Fr,Es,It)\Alien Trilogy (Europe) (En,Fr,Es,It) (Track 02).bin
\ecc-user\#_AUTO_UNPACKED\ps1\Alien Trilogy (Europe) (En,Fr,Es,It)\Alien Trilogy (Europe) (En,Fr,Es,It) (Track 03).bin

But should be:
\ecc-user\#_AUTO_UNPACKED\ps1\Alien Trilogy (Europe) (En,Fr,Es,It).bin
\ecc-user\#_AUTO_UNPACKED\ps1\Alien Trilogy (Europe) (En,Fr,Es,It).cue
\ecc-user\#_AUTO_UNPACKED\ps1\Alien Trilogy (Europe) (En,Fr,Es,It) (Track 02).bin
\ecc-user\#_AUTO_UNPACKED\ps1\Alien Trilogy (Europe) (En,Fr,Es,It) (Track 03).bin

I'll see if i can create an extra option to IGNORE the filepath in the archive....thus a EXTRACT ALL....but IGNORING DIRECTORIES...
[- ECC programs -]

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 12 Jun 2013, 00:44

Phoenix wrote:Ok great, i will see if i can make ECC look if there is a .CUE file and ONLY parse the .BIN file with the same name, that would fix the problem! :yes_head:

Thanks for your research!
For the first problem, giving it more thought how to program this best...it raises another problem, all files are seperatly added to the parser, so if there is no CUE file with the same name the bin/iso will not be parsed, and there are a lot of CD games that don't need or have a CUE files, so maybe a "force look for cue" option somewhere would fix this problem...i will see what is possible and how to implement it...
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 12 Jun 2013, 10:23

I agree with both solutions, ignoring the directories while extracting makes sense and also an option to force look for CUEs might make sense, though what about a solution that looks like this:

1. Look for a CUE
2. If there is a CUE, ignore the BINs
3. If there is no CUE, look for BINs (and other formats)

What about that?

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 13 Jun 2013, 21:25

The above is not working for ECC, the problem is in the parsing, that when files read from a archive like ZIP/7Z/RAR then files are not unpacked and going individualy trough the parser using a "dump" from the verbose filelist of 7zip. therefore, each file is seperatly added to ECC, so:

The CUE file.....ECC -> Nothing to do with it...ECC will not parse these files.
then a BIN file....ECC Parses, there is no cue file found because it's already analyzed....
next BIN file....ECC Parses, there is no cue file found because it's already analyzed....
etc...

A problem is also that the filenames differ...,i will give some thought about this, maybe a "force parsing CUE files" can be made, so it will only look for CUE files for the platform and ignore every other filextension!, then you can run your game with ony the CUE file...but i doubt if every emulator support this!, it's low prio atm!

Ps. i can make a unofficial hack for you so that your PS2 CUE files will be parsed...for now!, then let me know!
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 14 Jun 2013, 19:31

Phoenix wrote:A problem is also that the filenames differ...,i will give some thought about this, maybe a "force parsing CUE files" can be made, so it will only look for CUE files for the platform and ignore every other filextension!, then you can run your game with ony the CUE file...but i doubt if every emulator support this!, it's low prio atm!
As CUE files are native formats for running isos with multiple files, all of the PSX emulators (and most likely PS2 etc.) are capable of running these (tried it on my own). So a "force parsing CUE" (and ignoring anything else) would be the perfect way to go.

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 23 Dec 2013, 13:04

Sorry for picking this up again, but it still doesn't work well atm. Is there any progress on the bug or any idea how to fix it in general?

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 23 Dec 2013, 17:37

Hi Tormentor667,

This issue hasn't been fixed yet, i will see if i can work on this next year ;-)
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 25 Dec 2013, 11:52

Thanks for the info, looking forward to this :)

By the way, how's this generally solved in terms of working with EmuMovies?

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 08 Jan 2014, 11:57

It's next year now ... :D

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 08 Jan 2014, 23:06

Tormentor667 wrote:It's next year now ... :D
The year has 365 days :surrender:
[- ECC programs -]

Tormentor667

Unread post by Tormentor667 » 09 Jan 2014, 11:12

...and already 9 of them have passed :shocked:

I am just kidding :) As I said, it's mostly that I am curious what's happening and that these two things (this and the other feature request I have) prevent me from playing PS1 and other consoles more often.