Vista/XP Network trouble

Discuss here anything related to ECC, emulators, ect!
Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Vista/XP Network trouble

Unread post by Phoenix » 05 May 2010, 13:42

Hi Guys,

The lack of ICC updates is also comming from this issue i have @ home:

I had a good network @ home here, but since i did go to a LAN party, my network is scrambled up meaning: i am running windows vista for a few years (running fine though ;)) but i cannot reach my 2 XP machines anymore ;(, it worked before!, how come?, i searched inet for it, and they all refer to "change to the same workgroup", but on all my 3 machines the workgroup is set good, and still i cannot rach my 2 XP machine's trough the network, the 2 XP machine can find eachother though, any ideas?
Sebastiaan Ebeltjes | ECC Developer 2006-2016 | ECC Forum Admin | Phoenix Interactive WebMaster
[- ECC programs -]
eccUpdate, eccScriptSystem, GtkThemeSelect, DatFileUpdater (DFU), ImagePackCenter (IPC), eccDiagnostics, 3dGallery, iccImageInject
eccKameleonCode, eccCreateStartmenuShotcut, eccThirdPartyConfig (TPC), EmuMoviesDownloader (EMD), eccVideoPlayer
MobyGamesImporter (MGI), ECC Amiga GetGemusConfig.

Blackerking
ECC Support

Re: Vista/XP Network trouble

Unread post by Blackerking » 05 May 2010, 21:14

Hey there. I know your Problems better than other people. I made over 20 Lan-Parties sometimes with more than 15 Friends and a lot of room. Anyway try to reach each other pc with following command in your adressbar in the windows explorer.
"\\192.168.*.*" without "". If this works you can easily connect with links. If this fail please try verify your DHCP and your subnetmask. Did you use any kind of firewall?
Nothing that looks like a signature.

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 06 May 2010, 14:07

Thanks Blackerking,

I'll try this asap!

p.s. good idea to use IP numbers in the window explorer, but i think it won't work in a program as Total Commander, but we'll see ;)
Sebastiaan Ebeltjes | ECC Developer 2006-2016 | ECC Forum Admin | Phoenix Interactive WebMaster
[- ECC programs -]
eccUpdate, eccScriptSystem, GtkThemeSelect, DatFileUpdater (DFU), ImagePackCenter (IPC), eccDiagnostics, 3dGallery, iccImageInject
eccKameleonCode, eccCreateStartmenuShotcut, eccThirdPartyConfig (TPC), EmuMoviesDownloader (EMD), eccVideoPlayer

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 06 May 2010, 23:51

Well i tried it, the funny part its that it loads the website on the webserver, i also tried the '//computername/', but that also didn't work, *sigh* i even tried to uninstall and re-install the network protocols & services.....no result, hmmmmz checking further :P
[- ECC programs -]

Blackerking
ECC Support

Unread post by Blackerking » 06 May 2010, 23:53

No no no. You have to use \\ instead // . // opens Webbased ; \\ opens Filebased.
You can try to ping the computer.

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 08 May 2010, 14:28

Ok i tried:

\\computername\ > doesn't work (cannot find)

and PING > does work, no timeout....0% loss, strange huh?

Or should i try to install 'KB922120: LLTD-responder (Link Layer Topology Discovery)' on the XP machines? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120)
update for SP3 machines: http://www.pimp-my-rig.com/2009/12/inst ... p-sp3.html
[- ECC programs -]

Blackerking
ECC Support

Unread post by Blackerking » 08 May 2010, 14:53

Are there more than one Netzwork Adapter/connection?
Try to prior your settings.

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 08 May 2010, 14:58

Wait...i installed the LLTD-responder on the XP machine (with the hack for SP3), it's installed now, but now the strange part......., in vista's 'network map' i can see the webserver (webstar2008) but why can't i access it??, so frustrating..... :surrender:
Attachments
network.png
[- ECC programs -]

Blackerking
ECC Support

Unread post by Blackerking » 09 May 2010, 09:36

Is in your Network-Adapter everything on? IPV4, "Freigabe" usw.?

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 18 May 2010, 19:41

Yes everything is on ;-(, so that's not the problem, this issue really make me pissed off :veryangry: LOL, well i see into it more next weekend i hope...i'll let you know
[- ECC programs -]

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 26 May 2010, 21:49

I think i go to install Windows 7 soon, when i found some time....., so i'll be back with some new updated ICC thingy's ;)
[- ECC programs -]

lordashram
ECC Support

Unread post by lordashram » 10 Jun 2010, 23:48

Any updates on this issue?
Since resolving these types of issues are a part of my job, here are my thoughts.
On each machine, go to the command line and run:
ipconfig

Examine the ip and subnet mask of each machine.
Are the ip's something like:
192.168.X.yyy
and the subnet mask of each machine IS:

Is X on each machine's IP the same?
If not, there is a problem.
The subnet mask on each machine should be 255.255.255.0, if not that could be a problem too.

Another thing is it might be your router. One test would be to put the machines on a switch, with no router, and manually configure the ip & subnet mask on each machine (no need for a default gateway nor dns for this test).
I would use something like 192.168.0.10, on one, then 192.168.0.11, on the next, and so on.
Then try to ping the ip of the other machines.
If that works then try to view the network shares (on the ones that have network shares) by using:
\\computername
From Computer (Vista) or My Computer (XP), or from the run command on either.

If that works, then maybe try using manual ip settings that will work with your router and go from there.

If things worked and then stopped working then there is probably no need to install any patches, it just might be network hardware acting up.

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 14 Jun 2010, 21:08

Hi lordashram,

Thank you for your ideas, i've looked-up & tested a littlebit here:

- IP's are all 192.168.X.yyy, where X is the same!
- Gateways are all 255.255.255.0

Trying to restore the router to fabric defaults if i don't get this solved this week :angry:
[- ECC programs -]

lordashram
ECC Support

Unread post by lordashram » 15 Jun 2010, 03:30

It's starting to sound like something in Vista has gotten really f'd up.
If you plan on going the Win 7 route, then if at all possible, backup your data and do a clean install (format that virus known as Vista).

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 30 Jul 2010, 21:22

Ok, going on the Win7 tour now..., so i am installing Win7 asap... i'll let you know if it worked then ;-), because i cannot contact the server through the network ...it's almost impossible for me to update new things 'on the fly', so please hang on!
[- ECC programs -]

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 31 Jul 2010, 00:50

W00t ;-) got Win7 installed, and guess what.....Network is working fine :clap: :clap: , restoring all my apps tomorrow i think :peace: :ahhh:
[- ECC programs -]

Vicman
PLATINUM member

Unread post by Vicman » 31 Jul 2010, 16:54

sounds great, Phoenix !
but did you made this from Czech ?
Or you're already back in holland ?
imagepacks:
Done: Vic20, N64, Philips VG-5000 G7000 G7400, SordM5, Amstrad GX4000, Enterprise 64/128
Progress: Atari 8bit, Dosbox, Exelvision EXL 100
Vicman's eCC-Clips on You Tube

Phoenix
ECC Developer 2006-2016

Unread post by Phoenix » 01 Aug 2010, 01:57

Hi Vicman,

I came back earlier from my vacation because of a funeral ;-( nevertheless i installed Win7 and all my apps perfectly!!
[- ECC programs -]

lordashram
ECC Support

Unread post by lordashram » 03 Aug 2010, 01:16

glad to hear, about win7 not the funeral.